[lbo-talk] youth turnout

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 23 06:29:36 PDT 2008

Yesterday, I quoted an analysis by Gary Langer, ABC's "poobah of polling," reporting that the black turnout in the primaries was up proportionately with everyone else's - turnout in all groups was up, so the black share of the vote was in line with past averages. I wrote Langer to ask about the youth vote. Here's his response:

"Doug - Under-30s made up 14 percent of 08 Dem primary voters per our exit polls. That's exactly the average in data from 1976-2004. That said, there has been election-to-election variability, and 04 and 00 were low points, so 08 was up from the most recent past."

Sooooo....this line about how Obama has energized the young and the black isn't really all that true. Wish I knew this the other night, so I could have responded to Gary Younge's claims with a bit of fact- checking.

Doug