[lbo-talk] Center for Popular Economics-Summer Institute 2008

nathan at populareconomics.org nathan at populareconomics.org
Thu Jun 19 13:51:03 PDT 2008

Hey LBO folks,

The Center for Popular Economics is holding our annual Summer Institute this year in Chicago, July 27-August 2. Our institute is an intense week-long economics education for activists, organizers, educators and anyone interested in social justice. We know a lot of you on LBO list are familiar with what we do over here, and we were wondering if you might help spread the word to fellow activists. Also, this year's event features a special track on the economics of immigration and migration.

Thanks! Nathan Lane Center for Popular Economics

------

-----------------

The Center for Popular Economics invites you to our

28th Summer Institute July 26-August 2, 2008 Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL

Special Track: Economics of Immigration & Migration Co-sponsored by Chicago Jobs with Justice, ICIRR (Illinois Coalition for Immigrant & Refugee Rights) and CAAAELII (Coalition of African, Arab, Asian, European & Latino Immigrants of Illinois) and the Department of Economics/Program in Social Justice Studies at Roosevelt University

Learn how the economy works and gain tools to make your activism more effective.

CPE's Summer Institute is a week-long intensive training in economics for activists, educators, and anyone who wants a better understanding of the economy. We focus on the how the economic system impacts our lives, communities and work every day. No background in economics is required.

Core Classrooms At the heart of the Summer Institute program are two core courses, one on the U.S. Economy, one on the International Economy. All participants must choose one core course. The core classes meet each day in the mornings. Below is a sample of topics.

US Economy

a.. Intro to the economy

b.. Race, Class and Gender

c.. Labor and the workplace

d.. Macroeconomics: fiscal policy

e.. Macroeconomics: monetary policy & the Federal Reserve

f.. Introduction to international economics

g.. What's the alternative? International Economy

a.. Brief history of the global economy

b.. Development policies & neoliberalism

c.. Trade

d.. Globalization of production

e.. International finance

f.. Gender and globalization

g.. What's the alternative? Afternoon and evening events: In addition to the core courses is a rich selection of speakers, panels, workshops, videos, discussion groups and cultural events. All of these events are open to participants of both classes.

Special Track: Economics of Immigration and Migration Each year we choose an issue area that we focus on in the workshops, panels as well as in the core classrooms. This year's special track is on the Economics of Immigration & Migration and will explore questions such as:

a.. What's the relationship between corporate led globalization and migration?

b.. What's the impact of immigration on wages, jobs, state expenditures, healthcare

c.. Economic dimensions of race, class, gender and immigration.

d.. What's the economic impact of border militarization

e.. What's the impact and potential of remittances to the home country

f.. How are women impacted differently?

For more information or registration form, please visit our website: www.populareconomics.org or contact us: programs at populareconomics, phone (413) 545-0743