[lbo-talk] U Mich dropping Pluto

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 23 12:25:00 PDT 2008

The University of Michigan Press has stopped distributing Pluto Press books, because of the outcry over Joel Kovel's book, Overcoming Zionism. The director of the press, Phil Pochoda, was my agent on The State of the USA Atlas in 1993-4. I just sent this to him. I'd urge everyone else to join in.

Doug

----

To: Phil Pochoda <pochoda at umich.edu>

Dear Phil Pochoda -

Way back in 1993 and 1994, when you were my agent on The State of the USA Atlas, I got to like and respect you. But I've now forgotten that.

What a disgraceful, cowardly decision to drop Pluto. This is the approach of a major university press to freedom of inquiry? You should hang your head in shame.

Is this the kind of thinking that Lee Bollinger carried from Ann Arbor to Columbia?

Doug Henwood Left Business Observer 38 Greene St - 4th fl. New York NY 10013-2505 USA <dhenwood at panix.com> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com>

voice +1-212-219-0010 cell +1-917-865-2813

producer, Behind the News Thursdays, 5-6 PM, WBAI, New York 99.5 FM Saturdays, 10-11 AM, KPFA, Berkeley 94.1 FM

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html> podcast: <http://shout.lbo-talk.org/lbo/radio-feed.php> iTunes: <http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/ viewPodcast?id=73801817>