[lbo-talk] me @ Brecht Obama event

Alex Hogan alexmhogan at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:34:16 PDT 2008

"Well no, but millions of people are experiencing some sort of misplaced enthusiasm, and they're almost certain to be disappointed. And how the excitation of voters can translate into a movement, when its object could well become chief executive of the bourgeoisie, is never revealed."

I'm wondering how you would interpert FDR and the New Deal based on the standards you are setting for Obama. FDR was mildly progressive NY Governor whose platform in 1932 was that he wasn't Herbert Hoover and he would balance the federal budget. It was under his administration the CIO emerged and one of the most advanced welfare state in world at the time was set up. No, FDR didn’t bother to go get his head busted to organize US Steel or Ford, but the laws he passed made it possible. Would have there been a labor upsurge in the ‘30s minus a FDR victory? Probably. Would have it been violently smashed? Based on the behavior of previous GOP administrations, yes. The NLRB and the willingness of the administration to call corporate America out made a difference.

Obama voted for the Employee Free Choice Act, as did nearly every Democrat in Congress. Do you think that could create a huge boon to union organizing? We know Obama won’t appoint craze Heritage Foundation ideologues to the NLRB which should help too.

It seems like the admit tingly small wet-blanket left is

permanently stuck in 1992. “Clinton promised health care and look what happened”. It totally misses the difference in the political and economic context difference between then and now. No, I don’t think Obama will never let us down – I’m sure he will a lot –,

but I think to pretend that a Democratic Administration won’t give a boost to the labor movement is to ignore reality.

Even Forbes agrees with me.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/05/labor-congress-teamsters-biz-beltway-cx_bw_0605labor.html

_________________________________________________________________ Introducing Live Search cashback . It's search that pays you back! http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback