[lbo-talk] religion in the US

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:36:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2008, at 2:37 PM, Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> Why are Mormons so pro-Republican
>
> Because their religion is completely crazy?

But when you think about it, there's nothing inherently crazier about Mormonism over any other religion. I'm not sure what kind of criteria you could use to distinguish between crazy vs. non-crazy leaps of faith.

Over the years, I've come to know a handful of Mormons pretty well. Even if Mormonism is crazy, Mormons themselves are in pretty good shape (politically not so much). My experience is that they're uniformly friendly. And many of them are well-educated; well-traveled; and well-spoken about their religion (it's the mission trips). What surprises me is how conservative they are in light of the discrimination they've had to endure historically.

Last year, PBS ran a good documentary about the Mormons. It's a sympathetic portrait that helps you see the appeal of even their weirder theological stances. I thought it was worth the time, anyway.

(The whole thing is available at http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/ )

-WD