[lbo-talk] religion in the US

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 24 06:16:37 PDT 2008

WD wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Max B. Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Once you buy into an omnipotent, conscious power, all bets are pretty
>> much off.
>>

> Yep. So why do so many people get a kick out of picking on Mormons
> but not Christian Scientists -- or Catholics, for that matter? All
> three believe some awfully goofy stuff. The only problem Mormonism
> has is that it's relatively new.
> -WD

I see at least as many references in pop culture to christian scientists being silly as I see references to mormonism being equally silly. I have admittedly low exposure to pop culture.

Should new appeals to the supernatural (like mormonism) be more rational than older appeals (like xtianity)? How would that work? Or do you mean Catholicism, and xtianity in general, is sort of grandfathered in with regards to ridicule?

John Thornton