[lbo-talk] Bush: "I am reminded ... of Philippine-Americans when I eat dinner"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 03:42:06 PDT 2008

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/presidentbush/2008/06/bush-jokes-abou.html

[...]

But Tuesday, welcoming Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to the White House, President Bush couldn't resist getting in a joke about his chef.

First, said Bush, "I want to tell you how proud I am to be the president of a nation that -- in which there's a lot of Philippine Americans. They love America and they love their heritage."

Second, he continued, "I am reminded of the great talent of the -- of our Philippine Americans when I eat dinner at the White House.... And the chef is a great person and a really good cook, by the way, Madam President."

Arroyo thanked Bush for the compliment, and for the offer to send two assets the Philippines need desperately now: U.S. Navy ships to help with ferry rescue, and rice to feed a country suffering a rice shortage.