[lbo-talk] religion in the US

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 10:28:14 PDT 2008

You know, that book _Right Nation_, the one that came out a year or two ago, also basically argues as much. IIRC, near the end of the book the authors question the idea of America as a radical nation forged in the crucible of Enlightenment revolution, emphasizing the backwards elements that were at play not just in many of the Founders' ideas but in the population itself. This seems like a given to many of us on the list, but the impression I was left with about just *how* conservative a lot of the US's founding elements were -- it really stuck with me, how they conveyed it.

-B.

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

"[WS:] Try Richard Hofstadter "Anti-intellectualism in the American Life" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism_in_American_Life

He argues that populist religiosity and anti-intellectualism it promoted are the defining characteristics of the American psyche.