[lbo-talk] Superclass!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 08:26:00 PDT 2008

Have any of you read Kristin Dawkins's _Global Governance: The Battle Over Planetary Power_? It's from 2003. What's your take on it?

I don't know if Ms. Dawkins is of any relation to Richard Dawkins, but the book was put out by Seven Stories Press, generally reputable, no? I haven''t had a chance to read it, but a cursory skim indicates it's probab;y about what Noam Chomsky's called "the de facto world government" of Bretton Woods Institutions, G8, OECD, Business Roundtable, etc. Chapter 1 of _Global Governance_ is called "Who's In Charge?"

My only lament about the way the book looks is that the edition I have bears an uncomfortable physical resemblance to the John Birch Society's _The Insiders_, also a guide to "the global elite," but, you know, in this case "international bankers," the UN, and atheist-secularist-communist Illuminati cabals. In fact, a relative lent me _The Insiders_ after he saw a copy of Chomsky's _World Orders Old and New_ on my bookshelf and wrongly deduced I'd be into Birch Society tracts (several of which he owns, along with a book called _Marx and Satan_) on globalization-as-a-UN-commie-phenomenon.

-B.

Doug wrote:

"We've had a series of books in recent years that amount to little more than a pornography of wealth. But the connection of wealth to actual power is rarely explored. Sure, hedge fund managers can deploy billions, and CEOs can hire and fire thousands, but what is the relation of that narrow economic power to broader political, social and cultural power?"