[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 27 18:09:31 PDT 2008

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Forget the left intellectuals for a moment.
>
> The urban working class, especially men and women of colour, have a pretty
> consistent history of voting for the Democrats against the Republicans.
>
> Why is this? "False consciousness" - ie. they're just too dumb?
>
> I've made my own views known many times on on why the urban workers vote
> Democratic, even in the so-called red states, but I'd like to hear how Doug
> and others explain it.

"False Consciousness" is not a very useful concept -- too loaded with moralist over & undertones.

The question is really a false question. They vote DP for the same reason I did from 1952 through 1064 -- and would have been to this day but for the schock of finding myself, before I even realized what was happening, in the midst of the great struggles of the 60s.

It's what one did/does.

What percentage don't vote at all?

Carrol