[lbo-talk] Privilege

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 15:56:56 PDT 2008

--- On Sat, 6/28/08, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's Peter Watkins's _Privilege_, made in 1967 in
> reaction to Beatlemania, a phenomenon that reminded
> Watkins frighteningly of the mass hysteria at
> Hitler-worshipping Nazi Party rallies.

I understand what you are saying about corporate rock, BUT if Peter Watkin's was afraid of Beatlemania in 1967, we can imagine he would have been afraid of Punk in the 80s. Personally, I see very little in common between the two phenomenon (Nazi rallies and libidinal girls screaming/fainting at a rock concert). Frankly, I would say that they are the opposite. Rock was still revolutionary at that point...at least, I think so. Mind you, I haven't seen the film and am just commenting on the above quote from your post.

This does remind me of something funny from my old days in the WVO. Some comrades translated a Chinese Political Economy tome. In the last chapter, it cited instances of decadent bourgeois culture and how people in the western capitalist countries were listening to weird Beetles' music.

-Thomas