[lbo-talk] Privilege

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:43:53 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> By the end of the film, the Church-State duopoly has
> successfully co-opted the rock industry to the point
> that bands are performing nothing but calls to for
> obedience to Christ, etc., and the concerts have gone
> from Beatlemania-esque mayhem to rallies that eerily
> resemble "Triumph of the Will" Nazi Party gatherings,
> as shown in this scene:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_20Vikpwyg

Thank God Watkins' vision was totally flawed and nothing close to that is happening today: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3791203560486846767

While I was looking for footage of "praise and worship" concerts, I found some early Christian punk. It sucks, but not as much as the former video, which I find incredibly creepy: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Ssm4rCmLE

That version of "Onward Christian Soldiers" is pretty good. It's way better than the shit they call contemporary Christian music today. I've got nothing against Christian music in principle (I like a lot of traditional Christian music and I even like Sufjan Stevens' religious songs) but the mainstream white Evangelical stuff is so unbelievably sucktastic. We can blame Bono for that, mostly.

-WD