[lbo-talk] why vote when God runs the show?

John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 20:20:45 PDT 2008

Reminds me of the story of the committed Christian who built his house on a floodplain. When one of the increasingly-more-frequent hundred year floods occured, he refused to evacuate, saying, "the Lord will save me." Well, the waters rose and as it was clear that his house would be in the middle of the flooded area, his neighbors came by in their truck to offer him a lift out. "No," he said, climbing to the second storey of the house, "the Lord will save me."

The waters continued to rise, and just as they overtopped the first storey some emergency rescue personnel in a motorboat did a final sweep of the area; when they saw him reading the Bible and praying by candlelight in his bedroom they came by and urged him to get into the boat with them. "No," he said, climbing onto the roof, "the Lord will save me."

The next morning, with the waters almost to the rooftop, a helicopter flew by and tossed him a line down, with a warning over a loudspeaker that things were only going to get worse and he should climb up now before his house was completely swamped. "No," he shouts back, "the Lord will save me!"

Finally the flood rose above the level of the rooftops in his neighborhood and the floodwaters swept him away. And, as he's struggling ever more futilely to keep his head above water, the guy begins to cry. "Lord, Lord, why didn't you save me!?"

At which point a voice booms from the heavens: "Well, my child, I sent you a truck, a boat, and a helicopter ..."