[lbo-talk] Privilege

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 20:22:52 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 10:42 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's really ironic that Watkins presents "Christian
> rock" (in _Privilege_) as this completely outlandish,
> farcical, yet sinister thing -- in the 1960s!! -- and
> yet today we have, well, Christian rock -- and even
> "punk" bands!

What's particularly ironic is that the enterprises dates back to exactly 1967, the year of Privilege's release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_rock#Roots_of_.22Christian_rock.22_.28late_1960s-1980s.29

Perhaps this is an example of youthful countercultures imitating mass entertainment, like Pink Floyd's The Wall inspiring the Hammerskins?

(Which is certainly not to compare Hammerskins and Jesus People in anything but the most abstract terms.)