[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jun 30 15:20:49 PDT 2008

At 03:18 PM 6/30/2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Jun 30, 2008, at 3:06 PM, shag wrote:
>
> > it seem like you're getting your back up for nothing. no one in this
> > conversation has denigrated catholics or fraternities or seen them as
> > completely untenable as a place for people concerned with social
> > justice
> > issues.
>
>But it's a staple of that tough guy rhetoric, just like mocking the
>pointy-heads. It's almost a reflex.
>
>Doug

shoe-oo-oot. what happens when the pointy heads are the one who encourage you to take seriously religious organizations, fraternities, childcare co-ops, little league, etc. etc. as part of the polity -- and an important and indispensable part at that? pointy heads who uncover the religious-organizational roots of movements for social justice, liberation movements, etc?

i confess that i didn't see this as tough guy rhetoric -- you mean like who's got the biggest working class dick, who has the authentic voice of the blue collar / manuallaboring class kind of thing?

i don't know why, but i'm flashing back to when a feminist mentor told me that, back in the 60s and 70s, it was common for academics to point to their roots in the blue collar / manual laboring class as a way to authorize their position or gives themselves the patina of a kind of street cred. apparently, there were "more working class than thou" wars going on altogether too frequently. i thought it was just hearsay, but then i read a couple of accounts of the 60s last summer and apparently there was enough of it going on -- and a lot of shaming people from coming from backgrounds that were "too" privileged for them to be able to contribue in any meaningful way - or so it was claimed.

which seems to get it totally bassackwards -- the kind of i.d. politics carrol was bitching about not too long ago -- i think.

shag