[lbo-talk] Chavez, slow down

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sat Mar 1 00:15:24 PST 2008

I just read this reference to the question of food security. While it is true that Venezuela imports almost all of its food (and my friend Don who lived down there for about a half year said that it is also remarkably revolting), this has been true of Venezuela for some time, and is not a unique element of the revolution. There are, in fact, serious efforts to start an indigenous agricultural sector, but this isn't the easiest task in a society that is used to being a import oriented economy. robert wood