[lbo-talk] BHO "open to" vouchers

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 23:49:23 PST 2008

> He said he was astonished to learn that a voucher program in
> Milwaukee had never been tested in a longitudinal study to find out
> whether it had helped children or not. "If there was any argument for
> vouchers it was, all right, let's see if this experiment works, and
> then if it does, whatever my preconceptions, my attitude is you do
> what works for the kids," Mr. Obama said.
>
> Told a current longitudinal study is ongoing, Mr. Obama said he would
> respond to its findings with an open mind.

The preliminary findings are out. Guess what: they don't work.

Voucher study finds parity Students achieve about as well as those at Milwaukee Public Schools

The first full-force examination since 1995 of Milwaukee's groundbreaking school voucher program has found that students attending private schools through the program aren't doing much better or worse than students in Milwaukee Public Schools.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=721737