[lbo-talk] Ralph's writing device

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 10:44:51 PST 2008

The clatter of a typewriter has a certain toughness and finality which has an effect on your writing style. My college papers, at least, were much more assertive (though totally over the top) than anything I write now. And you tend to stick with the first words out of your mouth and the words you already know, since it's harder to go back and erase them.

Hemingway on a computer is just unimaginable.

BobW

Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

On Saturday 01 March 2008 16:54:53 Doug Henwood wrote:

> Why use a typewriter, and a manual one at that? It's just silly.

Maybe he just likes it better. Why sail, when you could motor? Ride a fixed-gear bike, when you could shift? Use a manual transmission, when you could avoid shifting? Etc.

I myself wear a wind-up wristwatch.