[lbo-talk] Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Mar 2 18:09:21 PST 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 02:23:07 +0100 Claire Pentecost <cpente at saic.edu> writes:

> the venezuelan opposition was receiving "help" from the US for the
> 2002 coup fracaso

No doubt they were, but it would be hard to convince me that they were taking much in the way of political advice from the US back then. Up to now, the Venezuelan opposition has been the gang who couldn't shoot straight. I think the underlying factor behind their political incompetence has been their inability or unwillingness to perceive that Veneuzuela's poor people have become a major political force in their own right. This is what Chavez had perceived early on, especially in the wake of the wave of protests and riots that occured in 1989. And Chavez's political success has largely been due to his ability to hitch his wagon to the emergence of the poor as political actors. It seems to me that the leadership of the opposition has been too blinded by their own class prejudices and snobbish disdain for the lower orders to perceive the changes that have going on in their own country, right beneath their noses. If the Venezuelan opposition is now starting to attempt to infiltrate the barrios and try to use the grievences of the Venezuela's poor against Chavez, I am tempted to perceive the hand of the CIA here which has had decades long experience in doing that sort of thing.