[lbo-talk] Chavez: slow down

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:52:00 PST 2008

Paul wrote:

Moreover, I was being rhetorical with my question regarding LBO, because I get a sense that ideas, thoughts are shot down before they are sincerely discussed. I expressed an opinion and was skewered as it being useless. So, I ask what is the alternative? This is an honest and genuine question.

In my experience, the issue isn't that "thoughts are shot down before they are sincerely discussed", or that there's a "hazing" period (wtf?) it's more the case that many people here are very experienced with the ideas you're presenting - i.e., they have thought deeply about them for many years - and often get impatient when they're introduced as if they're startling and new.

This impatience may or may not be regrettable. I believe in being polite but I also believe in learning to vigorously defend your ideas: with evidence, and without becoming verklempt. Occasional headaches aside, I'm thankful to LBOTalk for helping me loosen up and give as good as I get while maintaining a low heart rate.

I've often thought that it might be a solid service to new list members to provide archive links to themes already covered - a sort of Major Subjects FAQ.

The archives are here:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/>

Over the years, I've developed the habit of searching for topics before posting about them - to get a sense of where the discussion has gone before so I don't retread old ground. Much of the reaction you've gotten has been from people who are already very familiar with what you're saying and who're maybe being a bit short about letting you know they're familiar.

.d.

-- "I somehow doubt that 20 years of amphetamines and failure have changed you."

Dr. Impossible

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/