[lbo-talk] circle of change

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 3 10:10:31 PST 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Monday, March 3, 2008 Contact: Greg Denier or Noreen Nielsen at nnn-nnn-nnnn

CHANGE TO WIN LEADERS STAND WITH SEN. OBAMA

Denounce Latest Tactics to Smear His Trade Positions

WASHINGTON, DC - Following is a statement from Change to Win leadership denouncing the latest smear tactics on Sen. Barack Obama's trade positions.

"Our unions decided to endorse Senator Barack Obama because of his strong stand on the issue of fair trade. In all of our discussions with him, it became clear that Senator Obama is the strongest candidate to protect America's workers and the environment through a new trade policy. We firmly believe that Senator Obama is the strongest candidate to stand up for American jobs in future trade agreements. On NAFTA, we believe him when he says he will "use the hammer of a potential opt-out as leverage to ensure that we actually get labor and environmental standards that are enforced.

"We are disappointed that the Clinton campaign has decided to peddle a memo from a low level bureaucrat of an anti-worker Canadian administration that is in complete contradiction to the actual positions of Senator Obama. Our members should remember that it was the Clinton Administration that was the driving force behind the passage of NAFTA in 1993 and its aggressive campaign for NAFTA is a big reason the Democrats lost the House in 1994.

"We support Senator Obama and stand with him in his commitment to a trade policy that benefits American workers."

Anna Burger, Chair Edgar Romney, Secretary-Treasurer Joe Hansen, President, UFCW James P. Hoffa, President, Teamsters Union Bruce Raynor, President, UNITE-HERE Andy Stern, President, SEIU

# # #

About Change to Win Seven unions and six million workers united in Change to Win to build a new movement of working people equipped to meet the challenges of the global economy and restore the American Dream in the 21st century: a paycheck that can support a family, affordable health care, a secure retirement and dignity on the job. The seven partner unions are: International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Laborers' International Union of North America, Service Employees International Union, UNITE HERE, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, United Farm Workers of America, and United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.