[lbo-talk] Obama the devious & slippery opportunist

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:30:06 PST 2008

shag wrote:

What's Joe Wilson's stake in this?

Doug replied:

He's a Clinton hack, no?

Considering the energy he put into doing a (subtle, but not as subtle as you think, Joe) compare/contrast job re: Obama vs. Clinton that seems like a reasonable conclusion.

Consider the excerpt below in which Wilson tries to convince his reader that, contrary to Obama's criticisms, Clinton did not vote to authorize war, but "inspection" and a "broad international coalition":

I was involved in [the Iraq debate] in every step of the effort to prevent this senseless war and I profoundly resent Obama's distortion of George Bush's folly into Hillary Clinton's responsibility. I was in the middle of the debate in Washington. Obama wasn't there. I remember what was said and done. In fact, the administration lied in order to secure support for its war of choice, including cooking the intelligence and misleading Congress about the intent of the authorization. Senator Clinton's position, stated in her floor speech, was in favor of allowing the United Nations weapons inspectors to complete their mission and to build a broad international coalition. Bush rejected her path. It was his war of choice.

[...]

"Bush rejected her path" is an interesting choice of words, pretty clearly intended to give the impression that HRC possessed some well considered plan which, had it only been implemented (and alas that her Delphic wisdom was not heeded), would've steered us clear of war. And towards what exactly? More Iraqi killing sanctions?. Or perhaps a cruise missile special that would've spared American lives but, with that often advertised super accuracy, ended the lives of many Iraqis.

Some of his points may be valid (and Anubis and attentive list members know I'm not an Obama enthusiast - my fantasy is that the DLC be suddenly teleported to the balmy surface of Mercury) but this is little more than a well polished hack job whose message could be summed up in a simple sentence:

Hey everybody, vote for Hillary!

Well, Joe, why don't you just say so and spare us all the superfluous reading. The world's busy; get to the point old bean.

Google result for search criteria joe wilson + hillary

http://tinyurl.com/233nw8

Apparently, Mr. Wilson recently described HRC as a "gladiator." Seems apt; she is a scrapper and certainly, like her charismatic opponent, an important part of a corrosive imperial system.

.d.

-- "I somehow doubt that 20 years of amphetamines and failure have changed you."

Dr. Impossible

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/