[lbo-talk] Obama the devious & slippery opportunist

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 4 10:07:32 PST 2008

> > How about creating a new national climate of racial and ethnic
> > unity ?
>
>Maybe. But how good a thing would that be if it were just at the
>level of appearance? Ditto the image of the U.S. in the world - he
>could make us more "likable," which could legitimate imperial
>practices he leaves largely unchanged.
>
>Doug

I once lived in Spain for a year and more than a few times was asked "when are you Americans going to have a Black president?" After a while I started saying "I don't know, when are you going to have a Gypsy president." You could guess the response: "Oh, that's very different."

Anyway, if Obama's elected no one can ask when we're going to have a Black president anymore.