[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Mar 4 11:07:46 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I couldn't agree more. And I like the distinction between management
> and oppression. Michael Albert wants to get rid of management, which
> seems both impractical and tedious. I don't want to have to submit my
> consumption needs for the next year to a committee, and I think 99.9%
> of humans would agree.

You are for capitalism?

Boy, this list has taken some weird turns lately.

I guess I'm on the wrong list if people here prefer a system where working people have no say in the decision-making process.

It's also completely idiotic to argue that an anarchist society implies endless meetings. Participatory democracy would entail more meetings, yes, that's the point. You wouldn't have to go to these meetings if you didn't want to. More importantly, meetings in any system can be short or long, depending on what's on the agenda, the personalities involved and the way the meeting is facilitated. I've been part of some really short anarchist meetings and some marathon non-anarchist meetings that went on for hours.

Chuck