[lbo-talk] USSR and DDR

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 00:04:24 PST 2008

The conventional wisdom in Russia is that the DDR had the highest living standards of the Soviet bloc.

Of course the USSR was enormous and hugely internally divided. For instance back when this was possible Georgians would take sacks of fruit and veggies with them up to Moscow and such places, sell them, and return with the sacks full of cash, greatly contributing to the Georgian economy. (Despite the fact that such private enterprise was in conflict with Soviet ideology.)