[lbo-talk] video

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 05:05:34 PST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 7:43 AM, <paraconsistent at comcast.net> wrote:

> That contrary to your claim, the press is incapable of asking anything other than softball questions. The idea that they'll get tougher with BHO or HRC or JMcC is silly.

I'm not sure. I think you underestimate how getting tougher can make for good TV. This doesn't mean, of course, that they will ask them anything substantial: just stuff that will prod them to react. e.g. Rezko is completely irrelevant except that it scrapes away a little of the Teflon. The real scandal is that he's not going to do a damn thing differently. And they won't touch that because they're in on the marketing campaign. The narrative is already set: now it's just about the details. Throwing some questions like this is a way to see the protagonist overcome adversity. Since they think they know how the story ends--and their main role is to legitimate power--I think you're right in the long run. But that doesn't mean they can't have some fun in the meantime.