[lbo-talk] Author admits gang-life 'memoir' was all fiction

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 05:45:10 PST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Gregory Geboski <leruzhellynwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Doesn't this make one a year of these for the past three or four
> years?"
>
> Hell, that's two *this week*....
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/02/29/holocaust.bookhoax.ap/index.html

In case no one followed the link, here's a gist of what millions of people--including a ghost writer and publishers who translated it into 18 languages--believed about this writer:

"the author acknowledged her story was not autobiographical and that she did not trek 1,900 miles as a child across Europe with a pack of wolves in search of her deported parents during World War II."

I think she should actually get some sort of award for pulling off the whole "raised by a pack of wolves" thing this late in the game. I mean that's a throwback what, one, two, twenty-hundred years? In a way, it seems like evidence for why Obama will likely get the nomination on his message of "Change." People will believe any shit you tell them--especially if they see it on TV, or in this case, it is made into a movie--no matter how many times they've heard the fiction they're presented with.