[lbo-talk] speaking of...

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Wed Mar 5 13:12:47 PST 2008

> > A first consequence is the recognition that all belong to the same
>> world as myself: the African worker I see in the restaurant kitchen,
>> the Moroccan I see digging a hole in the road, the veiled woman
>> looking after children in a park.
>
>So is Badiou going to roll up his sleeves and wash some dishes? Or,
>better still, take care of some kids?

Yeah, right. Actually, it will be his job as an intellectual to devise the "the new relation between the political movement and the level of the ideological." (By the way, I love that he mentions his gaze: "the Moroccan I see.")

This quote does point to one of the worst aspects of Badiou's politics: his demand that migrant identity, and other identitites, be subsumed under the name of the worker, as if migrant is an insufficiently political moniker. The motto of his activist group, Organisation Politique, is "whoever works here belongs here," which I can only read as labor being a necessity of citizenship/belonging. Not to mention positing that whoever is here but isn't working doesn't belong here, apparently.