[lbo-talk] speaking of...

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Mar 6 07:45:09 PST 2008

Mr. WD wrote:

>But suppose you actually do faithfully live the consequences of the
>axiom 'there is only one world.' What kinds of things will you do?
>Certainly you'll be doing a lot of agitating -- and for causes nearly
>all of us care about.

I don't think it's that obvious what would follow at all. Isn't it just as possible to think of the unwanted others as occupying "our" world?

In her excellent book on tolerance, Wendy Brown talks about how neoliberal governmentality exercises "control" less and less by exclusion and more and more by inclusion. But this inclusion is accomplished by making certain subaltern groups a sort of supplement to the whole. That is, we can say we are all Americans, but certain subaltern groups--and which groups those is a constantly revised process--must always be the object of tolerance, and thus only contingently or conditionally actual Americans. Maybe I'm not Badiou carefully enough, but I don't see how what he's saying is that much different.

Sorry I can't go into more detail or respond more to you or Sean or shag, but I've got a day full of doctor- and kid-related activities.