[lbo-talk] "The Gaza Bombshell" from Vanity Fair

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 6 08:12:42 PST 2008

One interesting question is, who leaked the documents (apparently also offered to the Guardian/UK and perhaps others) that are the basis for this story of the administration's effort to provoke a Palestinian civil war?

Remembering that one of the first flowering of neoconservatism was "A Clean Break: Defense of the Realm [Israel]," prepared for then-Prime Minister Netanyahu in 1996, we might look for neocons increasingly isolated in the Bush administration and outraged at what they see as an attempt to set up a semi-effective Palestinian state under Abbas.

David Wurmser, one of the authors of "A Clean Break," resigned as Cheney’s chief Middle East adviser in July 2007, a month after the Gaza coup, and is quoted in the article as piously objecting to “engaging in a dirty war in an effort to provide a corrupt dictatorship [led by Abbas] with victory.” The neocons prefer complete abjection of the Palestinians in "defense of the realm." --CGE