[lbo-talk] Remarkably small delegate gain for Clinton

Bill Hoffman whoffman33 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:31:47 PST 2008

In the aftermath of the confusion at the caucuses, many here in Texas are definitely in favor of abandoning them in favor of a straight-up primary. The resistance comes from the party faithful themselves, largely because the goals of parties tend to be securing and holding power, rather than to translate the "popular will" (whatever that might be these days, or at the moment) into policy. If anything, because of the attention the local media gave to the peculiarities of the"two step" system, far more people participated than would otherwise be the case, diluting the impact of the party insiders and hardcore. The "zealots," of course, were out in force this time. "Points of order" and procedural issues were being raised at the caucus I attended well before everyone had signed in with their preferences...apparently a "roll call" can be called at any time, and the "votes" of those not present can be challenged. It's absurdly complex, but some people seemed to feel they were participating in something more "important" than simply a primary.

It's doubtful that the process, in this instance, seriously "negated" the "popular will" - HRC took most of the 126 "straight" delegates, BHO looks to get most of the 67 caucus delegates, and the polls before the election indicated nearly equal support from likely voters. Only the "superdelegates" can negate anybody's will at this point in the game.