[lbo-talk] what chutzpah

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:11:47 PST 2008

B says: And if what Michael Pollak says is true, and all caucuses are like the TX caucuses, then they are all undemocratic as fuck and they all ought to be changed.

To B. I ask: Why should we consider primaries to be any more democratic than caucuses? I think it should be obvious from what I have said that I am not a supporter of Obama, but I do not see caucuses, if done well to be less democratic than primaries. As they stand both systems are highly anti-democratic and I can't see much preference in choosing between them.

The Democratic Part is not my party, any more than the Republican Party is. They are both parties of the owners of our society and that certainly excludes me. So I am not sure why I (or you) should be concerned too much about how the ruling class candidate is picked. But as long as you engage the issue of how the Dems select their candidate I think, the situation is as follows:

When the Democratic Party relied less on primaries, and more on back-room politics and caucuses, the Dems picked presidential candidates that were more liberal than the ones we get now. In the Southern states, of course , the local and state candidates were more racist. But in the Upper Midwestern States and the Northeast the candidates tended to have a tinge of the social democratic about them.

As far as I can see primaries have made the Democratic Party _less of a Party_ and a party with less of a liberal program. The Dems since 1976 have become more of a party of personality and of Madison Avenue advertisements. I think both are a result of the marketing nature of the primary process. Less politics and more personality; less politics and more Mad Ave is what you get in the primary states. The caucus states actually have a tendency toward more actual organizing of people than the primary states.

I think it would be a relief to us all if both the Dems and Republicans would just give up the pretense of democracy and abolish the primaries all together. It would certainly end the suffering of this constant round of campaigning for president that they put us through.

Jerry

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>Why in god's name should she withdraw? Because she's old
and charmless?

Being charmless should certainly disqualify you from any political job. In that case Obama wins.

My suggestion is that both Obama and Clinton both withdraw from the race immediately. It would also be best if McCain had a crisis of conscience and also withdrew. So let's start a campaign to get all three candidates to withdraw from the contest.

I don't quite understand why anyone on this list should care what pundit calls for which ruling class candidate to withdraw from the phony election process. One would think that there were a bunch of Clinton supporters on this list.

As far as being old I don't think it is a disqualification. Clinton is not old enough for me. I think that some combination of gerintocracy and its opposite would be perfectly fine. Only people over 85 and under 25 should qualify for the few necessary _elected_ offices. And only mothers with children should be allowed to vote. It would, of course, be best to fill most political positions by lottery, as Doug jokingly suggested in one thread. But I see no reason why not....

Jerry