[lbo-talk] direct marketing

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:11:06 PST 2008

Almost every major grocery store chain offers its customers a little card that goes on your keychain and can be swiped along with your groceries to get any discounts the store might be offering. You usually don't save very much -- maybe $200/year. In return, the store presumably records all your purchases. But to what end? Being somewhat paranoid, I imagine this will one day be sold to insurance companies so they can develop custom-made actuarial tables -- adjusted in accordance with your consumption of booze, and salty and fatty foods.

I've been swiping my card at various chains for years, but I never saw any evidence of anything really malevolent in the practice. The threat was purely hypothetical.

Then today, my wife went through the self check-out and it printed out what appears to be a custom-generated advertisement for "New Morningstar Farms (R) Asian Veggie Patties! Introducing a sweet and spicy twist on traditional veggie burgers." This being North Carolina (pork-land, where "Asian-style vegetables and hints of chilis, garlic and ginger" aren't going to get a lot of folks' mouths watering) it's almost impossible to believe this isn't the first phase of some sort of creepy direct marketing campaign.

Still, it seems futile to dump the little keychain card, as this will only result in me being asked if I want to sign up for one every time I want to buy groceries.

-WD