[lbo-talk] Justin Raimondo: Confessions of an Obama Cultist

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:53:06 PST 2008

This bit should strike a chord at LBO-Talk:

"Okay, let's admit this, too: it is a cult, i.e. a group centered around a single leader, whose pronouncements and personality form the basis of belief. With Obama, the clincher is that distinctly presidential air he carries with such alacrity: he acts and speaks as if he's already the President, and is merely waiting to be officially elected out of simple courtesy and respect for tradition."

Raimondo and I are on similar pages here:

"With the GOP presidential sweepstakes over, the antiwar voter – that is, the single-issue voter who conditions his support on the candidate's generally pro-peace foreign policy stance – was left with a single choice, and that is Obama.

"This is really the core of Obama's appeal, and not just in my case: his calls to end the war, and change our crazed foreign policy, always elicit the loudest cheers at his mammoth rallies. It doesn't matter that he's not a consistent, principled, down-the-line opponent of interventionism: in the public mind, he is the antiwar candidate."

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=12475