[lbo-talk] McCain on torture

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 09:35:29 PDT 2008

New York Times March 9, 2008

Bush’s Veto of Bill on C.I.A. Tactics Affirms His Legacy By STEVEN LEE MYERS

[....]

Mr. Bush vetoed a bill that would have explicitly prohibited the agency from using interrogation methods like waterboarding, a technique in which restrained prisoners are threatened with drowning and that has been the subject of intense criticism at home and abroad. Many such techniques are prohibited by the military and law enforcement agencies.

[....]

Senator John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, has been an outspoken opponent of torture, often referring to his own experience as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. In this case he supported the administration’s position, arguing as Mr. Bush did Saturday that the legislation would have limited the C.I.A.’s ability to gather intelligence.

[....]

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/washington/09policy.html>