[lbo-talk] A second Gorbachev?

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Mar 10 12:53:45 PDT 2008

On Mon, March 10, 2008 6:32 am, Ethan Young crossposted from Prospect:

> http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10084
>
> Something else we might expect is that anti-western nationalists in
> Russian politics, culture, journalism and academia will unite
> against Medvedev, as they did in the late 1980s against Gorbachev.

Hilarious. They really want Gorby back -- because after Gorby came the Great Collapse, which gave the neolibs a free hand to indulge in a decade of easy plunder.

Not going to happen.

The road to the Kremlin is paved with the political carcasses of those who underestimated Medvedev. Sharp, savvy, well-informed, tough as nails (he edged out Ivanov to become candidate, a feat worthy of a Tolstoy novella in its own right), with the managerial experience of running Gazprom as well as ramping up Russia's new social programs. Medvedev is going to piss off the neolibs in ways they can't even begin to dream of.

-- DRR