[lbo-talk] stuff white people like

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 14:32:18 PDT 2008

Still, "what white people like" would also include the NASCAR Dad type stuff. Not the accoutrements of coastal liberal grad student lifestyle, which is the focus of the blog.

Also, I'm not one for false modesty, so I'll venture that I'm not exactly irony-deficient, either, and I get the joke of the blog. Apple computers, vegetarianism, "standing still at shows" -- ouch. That an be me.

Is supporting Obama on there?

Watching the Wire, but also not watching TV, world travel (I wish!), being the only white person around, etc. Like I said, I rejoice when I can find things that aren't me there, but a lot of it cuts close to the bone or at least rings true about twentysomething Portland/SF/NYC (yes, even Austin) whites, esp., aain, grad sudent folks. "Reminding people that they are a part of a group" isn't news to me; I've posted quite about white culture on here, being a red state son (like Dennis P.), and things associated with that. My Tennessee & Texan upbringing wasn't filled with veganism, yoga, world travel, multiculturaism, and hating corporations. More like fried bologna, moon pies, red beans & rice & cornbread, Dr. Pepper, John Prine, and Bill Monroe. But I'm easy.

-B.

Andy F quoted:

"One irony-deficient reader complained that the blog was less about white people than it was about yuppies. And without knowing it, she was cutting to the heart of the joke. Lander is gently making fun of the many progressive, educated, upper-middle-class whites who think they are beyond ethnicity or collectively shared tastes, styles or outlook. He's essentially reminding them that they too are part of a group."