[lbo-talk] Fallon, Bush, Iran

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 11 05:25:44 PDT 2008

[from Mike Allen's Politico Playbook]

4) THE WEST WING IS READING ... and is none too pleased about ...

From the forthcoming Esquire, 'The Man Between War and Peace: As head of U. S. Central Command, Admiral William 'Fox' Fallon is in charge of American military strategy for the most troubled parts of the world. Now, as the White House has been escalating the war of words with Iran, and seeming ever more determined to strike militarily before the end of this presidency, the admiral has urged restraint and diplomacy. Who will prevail, the president or the admiral?'

Thomas E. Ricks wrote in the WashPost: 'Written by Thomas Barnett, a former professor at the Naval War College, the article in the magazine's April issue predicts that if Fallon leaves his position at Central Command, 'it may well mean that the president and vice president intend to take military action against Iran before the end of this year and don't want a commander standing in their way.' '

When asked at a briefing yesterday about confidence in Fallon, Defense Department Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said that Secretary Gates 'has read the article in question and will not be commenting on it.' Asked about the topic again and again ('We could hammer it all afternoon,' one questioner said), Morrell finally added: 'I think that the secretary has made clear and I think Admiral Fallon has made clear that the first priority of this administration is to deal with our problems with Iran in a diplomatic fashion. That is our first hope, that is our first effort. However, we have all made clear time and time again that nothing, no avenue is off the table.'