[lbo-talk] Cuba (was Re: Obama the devious & slippery opportunist)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 07:27:01 PDT 2008

Charles,

Is capital gone in Cuba, or is the state simply the sole capitalist?

The IWW rejeted Leninism because it replaced a class monopoly on the means of production by private sector elites with a class monopoly on the means of production by the state's party elites -- the revolutionary vanguard in Lenin's case. In other words, the IWW said circa 1920, the USSR had traded rule by several capitalists, as in the USA, for rule by one single capitalist, the Leninist state.

Isn't that how Cuba is, even given the special 90s amendment to the Cuban Constitution that lets private foreign firms own private property on the island? Popular resort/vacation spot for Canadians and Scandinavians, who seem to have no trouble finding resorts that pander to Western European expectations. I wish I could vacation there, actually. Pics I've seen from Scandinavian friends who've taken Summer vacations there look fun.

-B.

Charles Brown wrote

"Take Cuba. Capital's gone. What would you call the people who are still there ? The working class as the ruling class?"