[lbo-talk] McCain's jailhouse shrink

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 07:41:09 PDT 2008

Like I said, I've read many of McCain's POW memoirs, and I remember this Spanish psychologist appearing in them.

McCain, IIRC, never called him a therapist, though. McCain, in fact, said that the fellow was introduced to him as a Spaniard, "but I later learned he was a Cuban," you can almost hear McCain spit in disgust.

Also, McCain writes of a French Communist Party official that visited him from Paris while he was in captivity. I think this French fellow's name was Chalaise. Although McCain can barely get past the fact the French guy is a Communist -- a running theme of anti-Communist hatred in his memoirs is almost as omnipresent as McCain's insistence that everyone follow the Geneva Conventions on torture (oops to that now!) -- McCain does admit in his memoirs that the French communist guy did essentially get him somewhat better treatment from his NVA captors. For awhile, at least.

Additionally, McCain claims he was visited by several Vietnamese writers who were interested in American authors/literature, for their own literary pursuits, and McCain was always sure to tell them that whatever authors they were asking about, they were all very anti-Communist. Ant-Communism and pro-Geneva Convention adherence are the two big drumbeats belted out constantly in his POW memoirs.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Washington Post - March 11, 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/10/AR2008031003141_pf.html>

In Havana, A Page From McCain's Past Restaurateur Displays Story Of Interview With POW By Manuel Roig-Franzia"