[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 12:12:53 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Lew wrote:
>

>> Both. Marx envisaged a transition between a first phase of
>> communism and
>> a higher phase of communism - but they are both *communist* societies.
>>

> Any idea on how we get there from here, or will it all happen in some
> lightning bolt transformative repture? How do you dispense with money
> when the stuff is drilled deep into our heads?
>
> Doug

I've never understood the obsession some people have with eliminating money. With the exception of the anarcho-primitivists who would have everyone subsistence farm or some such nonsense I've yet to see any serious proposal about how such a society would function. I'm being generous including anarcho-primitivists ideas as serious but while undesirable it is possible so feel I should I include it.

John Thornton