[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Mar 11 13:48:54 PDT 2008

At 11:46 AM -0400 11/3/08, Doug Henwood wrote:
>On Mar 11, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Lew wrote:
>
>> Both. Marx envisaged a transition between a first phase of
>> communism and
>> a higher phase of communism - but they are both *communist* societies.
>
>Any idea on how we get there from here, or will it all happen in some
>lightning bolt transformative repture? How do you dispense with money
>when the stuff is drilled deep into our heads?

First, you dispense with wages based on work performed and instead pay a social wage according to need. Already happens to some extent under capitalism, on account of the fact that market wages cannot take account of the different needs of people at different stages of life. Such as young people engaged in study, families with children to support, retired people, infirm and disabled people, retired etc. So we are already in the transition period.

This is essentially a form of rationing. The next stage is to abandon that, but first people have to grow out of the fetish for things and status based on possession of things. Making things available freely will inevitably go a long way towards drilling a new consciousness into our heads.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas