[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 11 14:52:23 PDT 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> According to you, any change is like a can of beans on the supermarket
> shelf -- we stand there and abstractly decide if we want it, which
> requires that we know what it is in advance -- and that we merely have
> to decide we want it to get it.
>
> This is absurd.
>
> Revolutionary change is the organization of people in collective
> resistance to the present order. PERIOD.

Uh, Carrol, I pretty much agree with you on this so there's no need for the hortatory CAPS. When people mount the soapbox and say "No more money after the revolution!" it strikes me as fantastic nonsense. Political action is all about how people deal with the realities that the present hands to them and what they can do to change them. They have principles - more equality, less exploitation, etc. - but nothing like a roadmap. Money has existed for several millennia, and it isn't going to go away anytime soon. Any better society we can make will probably still have money around. Who knows where we could end up, if we could ever get a good start.

Doug