[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 11 20:38:00 PDT 2008

John Thornton wrote:
> Miles Jackson wrote:

>>I have faith that other people, living under different social
>>conditions, will be much more creative and flexible than you and I will
>>ever be. In my view, our inability to "theorize a moneyless society" is
>>a result of our own enculturation into a capitalist society; thus it's
>>not a coherent argument against the possibility of a moneyless society.
>>
>>Miles
>

> Count yourself among those who are not "creative and flexible" enough to
> theorize a moneyless society if you wish but I will not count out all of
> humanity as incapable of doing this.
> The onus is on those who wish to postulate that a future society will
> indeed by moneyless to theorize how this will happen otherwise it's just
> so much empty rhetoric.
>
> John Thornton

You're missing my point. The fact that we cannot theorize a moneyless society is a testament to how effectively we have been socialized into a capitalist society. Of course we can't articulate a vision of a moneyless society; that's like asking a fish to imagine a life without water!

I suggest that most "empty rhetoric" is built on the assumption that human social relations must be forever and always constrained within the limited scope of our own imaginations. Aren't we better than that, Horatio?

Miles