[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Peter Hart Ward pward at peterhartward.com
Tue Mar 11 21:19:43 PDT 2008

Actually, there is scores of literature on the subject, in particular anarchist/libertarian literature; though how relevant much of it is to present circumstance is open to question. However, our present economic arrangement, of which money, in some form, appears to be an integral part, is manifestly not "working" for the vast majority of people on the planet. Clearly there is a problem and the fact an obvious solution hasn't presented itself readymade, a hopeless exception at an rate, is not a valid reason not to seek a solution -- a task, whether one likes it or not, that implies experimentation and mistakes. The argument here seems to be analogous to saying because a cure, or good treatment, for cancer hasn't been found we should all pretend cancer isn't a terrible disease.

I should note that my own opinion is not as pessimistic as that typically expressed on the left--if one reflects on the most rewarding aspects of his or her life one will find, I believe, that they invariably have nothing to do with money. The solution, it seems to me, is strait-forward in principle: we need to combine what we find truly rewarding with what needs to be done -- "[I]t seems as if all the peasants and craftsmen might be elevated into artists; that is, into men who love their labor for its own sake, improve it by their own plastic genius and inventive skill, and thereby cultivate their intellect, ennoble their character, and exalt and refine their enjoyments." (Wilhelm von Humboldt, "Limits of State Action")