[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Mar 12 07:04:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:38:00PM -0800, Miles Jackson wrote:

> You're missing my point. The fact that we cannot theorize a moneyless
> society is a testament to how effectively we have been socialized into a
> capitalist society. Of course we can't articulate a vision of a
> moneyless society; that's like asking a fish to imagine a life without
> water!

The science fiction shelves of any bookstore are filled with visions of moneyless societies. Or on TV: Gene Rodenberry's original vision of the future was a moneyless society. His recipe was a combination of humanity's awakening to their place in the universe due to encountering aliens (which seems to me a metaphor for shedding our silly superstitious belief that we are some special creation of some invisible super-being) and technological singularity: limitless, free, clean energy and the ability to change that energy into virtually any type of matter (and therefore no scarcity of anything: food, shelter, or even luxury goods).

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

-George Clinton