[lbo-talk] Wealth tax

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 12 13:57:01 PDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Paul Papadeas wrote:

> Is it plausible to have a citizen's movement on pushing our elected
> representatives for a "swiss-style wealth tax" in this country as
> Doug discussed the benefits in his book "Wall Street". I'm
> fascinated by some of the measures that can be taken at this point
> realistically to create an equal level playing field so to speak.
>
> Where do Obama and Hillary stand in relation to these measures
> (including Tobin Tax, admitting to support higher Income Taxes for
> the Billionaires and millionaires, taxing of domestic financial
> transactions, etc). Are they for highly regulating the financial
> industry as well as getting rid of the idea of Corporate Personhood?

They would be forcefully against a wealth tax or a Tobin tax or anything other than a mild increase in the top income tax rate, a la Clinton in 1993. I suspect that the current financial crisis might lead to some talk of re-regulation of finance, but it's not going to be much unless things get pretty bad.