[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 15:04:48 PDT 2008

At 12:20 PM 3/12/2008, Chris wrote:

>Actually in the ancient world I kind of doubt it....
>the only place I know of where doubt as to the
>rightness of slavery is even mentioned is in
>Aristotle's politics and some of the early Stoics....
>--- Jenny Brown <jbrown72073 at cs.com> wrote:
>

> > I bet you there were quite a few slaves theorizing
> > it right along, too.
> > Not a world filled with automata but a world without
> > masters.

But Jenny said she'd bet *slaves* were theorizing, not people running in Aristotle's circle. What the slaves were theorizing is anybody's guess, but this bet is likely a good one This is like a thread from a while back with references to what "the ancients" or "the Mayans" were doing in mathematics. What we're really talking about is a relatively small group of scholars. .