[lbo-talk] Slavery in the Ancient World Re: The State and Capitalism

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Mar 12 18:51:21 PDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 6:20 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> Maybe I'm misreading her, but I thought she meant
> slavery AS AN INSTITUTION, not slavery as it affects
> the individual slave. It's like the difference between
> being against death and not wanting to die.

That wasn't exclusively the case, as the instance (a representative one) of Gaius Trimalchio indicates. One can never tell, but if after a certain amount of wine the discussion had become a "philosophical" one, perhaps Trimalchio would have condemned "slavery AS AN INSTITUTION."

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos