[lbo-talk] Goodwill hunting

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 06:06:37 PDT 2008

--- Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> You can sometimes find excellent quality at #5. I
> make a habit of
> checking out the local Goodwill in the Oakland hood,
> about once a month,
> and I have found good quality, practically new men's
> shirts for $5.00.

[WS:] True. You can buy excellent quality clothes at local thrift shops, especially in the DC area, for a few bucks. However, it is far more diffciult to buy something for men than for women. I visited thrift stores countless times with my girlfriends, and in most cases they could find something for themselves, but I walked empty-handed. Most of the men stuff there was so worn out that it was practically rubbish.

BTW, thrift stores can thrive mainly thanks to the much derided consumerism of the Amerikan yuppies who dread the idea of being seen in the last season's clothes. I think yuppie females are consummed by such silly passions to a far greater degree than yuppie males, hence the diffciulty of finding good quality men's clothes in thrift stores.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs